Updated: Sept 8th, 2020
These are the hearing aid facts you need to know
We dispel the hearing loss myth for you!
- A hearing aid is an apparatus designed to enhance hearing by producing more sound audible to an individual with normal hearing loss. Hearing aids are categorized as medical devices by most states and regulated by their respective state-specific laws.
- The two most common types of hearing aids are in-line or external aids; these types of hearing aids come with the most features, but are also the most expensive. An in-line hearing aid uses a microphone attached to the ear canal for a direct electrical signal that is sent to an amplifier for amplification.
- The other type of hearing aids is the sub-dural hearing aids. These are devices that attach to the bone behind the ears and allow for an insertion into the inner ear. They provide a more natural look to the user’s face than the in-line models and can be custom-fitted to your own particular need.
- Another aspect to take note of when it comes to the many hearing aids available on the market is that the costs vary widely. Some people who suffer from severe damage to their outer or middle ear may have to resort to using hearing aids to compensate, whereas others are able to use more elaborate types of hearing aids which provide greater amplification capabilities.
- It’s important to know that models have different features and benefits. It is important to determine which model will be best suited for your particular situation. For instance, an in-line model is great for those who are on the go and often need to travel. They are small and portable, so can easily be brought with you wherever you need to go.
- There are many hearing aid facts to keep in mind, but when all is said and done, it’s the best way to go about purchasing the hearing aids for yourself. By doing research and knowing your options, you will be able to find the hearing devices that fit your needs. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to call a hearing aid representative.
- Don’t let anyone tell you that a hearing aid is something you should live with. It is actually an extremely simple device which provides a level of hearing to individuals who are deaf. No one should have to live in constant discomfort or with this disease for the rest of their lives.
- When looking for hearing aids, remember to know as much about them as you can. It’s important to do your homework before making the final decision.
Common Causes Of Hearing Loss
- Exposer to loud noises
- Genetics (your own family history)
Symtoms of Hearing Loss
When did they begin to lose his hearing? Were they diagnosed with an ear problem, a sinus infection or something else? Just when was the last time you heard them laughing or smiling?
Hearing loss can be frustrating! It’s hard to be on guard all the time, especially when we are surrounded by people.
Are you suffering from Tinnitus?
Or do you having ringing in your hears? If so you man have tinnitus, your are not alone, as Tinnitus affects nearly 20 million people in the US.
Even with good hearing, taking a regular hearing test can be physically draining.
We’ve become accustomed to being able to hear the sounds around us, and if we suddenly can’t, our anxiety can rise. With that said, we’d all like to find a way to go on living a healthy life.
Hearing Loss Treatments
One way to deal with the effects of hearing loss is through therapies. The treatment for hearing loss differs for each individual, but the aim is to help individuals restore hearing to normal levels.
Some of the most common ways to treat people with hearing loss include using hearing aids, getting a cochlear implant or even wearing devices such as a cochlear device.
Hearing devices, however, may have some unwanted side effects. Therefore, it is important that you talk with your health care provider about the options available to you and choose the most appropriate therapy.
Hearing aid therapy is the most popular way to treat people with hearing loss. A hearing aid is a device that fits into the outer ear and can amplify sound, providing the ability to hear in noisy environments. The cochlear implant is another option that can improve the quality of hearing.
A cochlear implant is surgically implanted into the inner ear where the auditory nerve runs. This procedure helps to increase the flow of auditory nerves, which can improve the sound and quality of your hearing.
There are also other treatments to help you cope with your hearing loss, which includes the use of a masker, which blocks out background noise and allows you to hear what’s going on around you. Another common therapy is called cochlear inducers, which are small audio units that play sound waves at high decibel.
This helps to isolate the affected area of the ear, allowing the patient to hear sounds clearly without having to rely on the masker.
Hearing Aid Companies to Choose From
Most hearing aid manufactures have different lines that range in cost from $1,500 all the way up to $5,000. Direct to consumer brands are also an option for those on a budget. Below are some of the larger well known hearing device manufactures.
- Miracle Ear
- Signia Nx
Find a Well Respected Audiologist
Finding a way to cope with your hearing loss can be difficult. Luckily, there are many support options to help you. It’s important to remember that it’s not always a physical condition, and you can still live a full life despite not being able to hear everything clearly.
If you’re suffering from a medical condition, you may want seek support from your hearing aid doctor who can administer a hearing loss test. Once a hearing test is completed you and your audiologist can plan a suitable treatment for your particular case. Dispel the myth around your hearing loss and get real solutions so you enjoy the most out of life.